It's OK, I'm a Chemist

Thursday, April 15, 2004

So, I've tried to supe up my blog (errr, clog) here so it at least is on par with everyone else's. Now that I've done that, I guess I'll add some content. This summer I'll be working for Dr. Lennox doing research on gold nanoparticles and it suddenly struck me that my education is finally helping me out. Now, now you might say. "What about improving your mind and becoming a better person?" Hogwash! Let's face it, the only reasons why I got an education was because: a) I'm not stupid and would get bored doing menial work and b) I want to do something that sounds impressive. When I mention that chemistry is my major, it is met with (at best) a rolling of the eyes. However, if I say that this summer I'll be working with gold (while other non-educated people get to work my grass and fertilizers), well let's justs say that the results are much better. Plus, if you act all interested in your work, like it's the most exciting thing ever to occur, for whatever reason, chixdiggit. I don't understand either, because more often than not, I bore myself when I talk about chemistry. Unless of course, it's sexual chemistry puns - like backside attack or the rigid rotor. So, this summer it's the study of the ligand exchange reaction on gold nanoparticles. If the research goes well, I might get 2nd author on a publication, which is even better because I can then claim I'm a published author to boot (take that all you english majors!). Oh, and my education also allowed me to get me a sweet position as a TA for the general chemistry lab and the classical methods of analysis lab (aka baby anal) over the course of the soon-ending school year. Man, whoever decided to put me in charge of students, especially freshmen girls, clearly hasn't been keeping in check with my past. Ahh, I'll never look at the reservoir the same way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home