It's OK, I'm a Chemist

Friday, September 02, 2005

Hey everybody! Although I didn't get to see everyone I wanted to, I had a blast back in Montreal. As it turns out, it was great timing as the day after I arrived it was the going-away party for Ian, a post-doc in the Lennox lab (where I worked for 11 months before coming to Halifax). I got to spend one more night in Thomson House with everyone before Ian took off for Guelph and then to University of Saskatchewan to start his career as a professor (that's now 5 people that I worked with in that lab who have jobs as a professor; one at each of the following schools: Mount Allison, Dalhousie, Calgary, Syracuse and now Saskatchewan). Also, I got to hang out with some old football buddies, even got into a theological debate with one of them at Cheers South Shore - probably the most intelligent conversation there in a long time. On the Friday night, I hit up Le Pistol, Buddha Bar, Tokyo Bar and Cheers downtown with Ashley, Liz, Sarah and Kevin. Then Saturday was the wedding of Agatha and Chris. It was a really nice wedding and the reception and dinner were great fun. I had my dancing shoes on and I had a blast. I left back home on Sunday night, and as it turned out going from the Halifax airport to my apartment took longer than my flight from Montreal to Halifax... damn you shuttle bus driver and your lack of a driving plan.

The next weekend, it was the play-offs for my Thursday league and Sunday league teams. Unfortunately, my Thursday team (Disco Inferno) didn't submit for the playoffs so we weren't scheduled for any games but I was able to pick up with another team. My Sunday league team (Heavy Backhand) ended up placing a respectable 6th place (exactly where we were seeded coming in) out of 13 teams. Not bad considering the majority of the team were first year players.

On Monday, Gillian and I broke up. It sucks and I wish we had tried more to work things out but that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes. We'll see how things play out over the next couple of weeks. If there is a bright side to this story, it's that if it had to happen, it was pretty good timing-wise. I have a friend coming into town, Nicole, who just moved here to start law school. It's the long weekend and so I'll be able to chill with her, which I wouldn't have been able to do otherwise because I'd be in Port Hawkesbury.

In other news, a girl that works with me in the analytical lab, Kim, is quitting. This has thrown our group into a bit of a tizzy because we're not sure how we're going to compensate for her loss. It's pretty clear that I'll take over her work but then who'll take over mine? The company seems pretty adamant about not hiring someone else right now, so it'll be interesting to see how things work out. Also, because of this development, Jonathan (my boss) put out the option of making my position full-time. I doubt I'll take it, but it's good to know that they respect my work enough to make the offer.

Next post, I promise to make it more interesting and less a data dump. Take care, everyone!

5 Comments:

  • Sorry to hear about the breakup. By some of your recent comments, though, it seemed like something like this was coming up for a while. Hope you had some good times/memories. Nice news on the timing with this other girl, too. Good luck and have fun.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Sep 02, 01:40:00 PM  

  • Well this other girl is just a friend - but it's good to know I won't just be chilling at home.

    By Blogger Glen, at Fri Sep 02, 02:14:00 PM  

  • DUDE! Too bad I missed your return to Montreal. Mine is coming up FAST (too fast for my liking...). So they finally tied the knot, that's awesome! Who else was there? Where was the wedding? Was it big?
    Sorry to hear about the girl thing. On a lighter note, I made out with a chick from England!

    By Blogger Budman, at Fri Sep 02, 09:58:00 PM  

  • port hawksburry?

    i was at ivaco in hawksburry? is that even the same village as you speak of? in ONtario halfway between here and ottawa?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Sep 04, 12:37:00 AM  

  • Port Hawkesbury is in Cape Breton right across the Canso Causeway. I think you're thinking of Hawkesbury, Ont. I went camping there on weekend last year.

    By Blogger Glen, at Mon Sep 05, 09:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home