It's OK, I'm a Chemist

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

On turkey weekend, I made plans to visit my friend Kevin from undergrad whom I hadn't seen in like 3 and a half years. We had some crazy times back in the day and I was really looking forward to meeting up with him again. My boss let me leave work a little early so I could catch the ferry to Victoria (population 400,000). After spending 8 months taking the ferry to work in Halifax I thought I had seen all that a ferry could have to offer but I was blown away by the view. Here are some pics:











Sometimes, people spot orca whales. I unfortunately didn't see any but I did get to see some hawks soaring high above off of a cliff. I would honestly take the ferry again just for the view.

Once I made it to the other side, Kevin was there waiting at the terminal for me. This set up a running theme for the weekend where I wouldn't see him and he would walk right up behind me completely unaware. This probably happened about six times over two day period. On the ride to his place, between recanting stories of the old days, I had the craving for some dirty bird. There's nothing more to that little detail but to say I wasn't feeling well after eating it. After cleaning up and downing a beer or two, we headed downtown. At our busstop were three girls, who based on their level of drunkeness, had no business going out and really should have been passed out in a bush at that point. One of them, out of the blue, asked me if I spoke french. Though I consider myself only semi-bilingual, my french is considered outstanding on the left coast. So I spurted out a few short sentences, which completely awed her since her grasp on french was minimal. She then asked Kevin if he spoke punjabi, which is even odder since she didn't speak punjabi at all (though she gave a valiant effort). I knew right away that this had the making of a good night.

We hit up three clubs that evening. The first two were unremarkable except when we took two tequila shots at the first one. One was done stuntman style, and the other was taken with a straw. The bartender was delighted (especially since the club was empty at this time). At the third club, Kevin ran into a trio of female friends he hadn't seen in a while. I began chatting with one, and when she mentioned her boyfriend was going to run in his first marathon the next day, I proceeded to tell her that based on my experiences "the first one's the hardest". Kevin and our cabdriver later that evening had a good chuckle about that one since being 5'9" and 200lbs I definitely do not have the physique of someone who has ever ran a marathon in his life. At the bar, I ended up chatting up this one barstar who told me straight off the bat told me that her two friends were on E. Needless to say, drinks were in order. Ultimately, nothing good came of this interaction except maybe some dirty dancing on the dancefloor.

That was the first day...

6 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home