It's OK, I'm a Chemist

Friday, November 04, 2005

It first happened when I was 17. I was frightened because I felt like it was a big deal and I didn't know what to expect afterwards. Would people look at me differently? More importantly, would I see them differently. The answer of course is yes. They were much clearer when I got my first pair of prescription glasses. A whole new world was opened up to me - specifically Cal II class. Since the prescription was only small, I only wore my glasses during school. It was important to me to be able to say that I didn't really need glasses, I just wore them so I could see what was written on the blackboard.

This denial lasted seven years until two Fridays ago when I made an appointment with an optometrist and he was shocked (shocked!) that I didn't wear glasses all the time. So I succumbed to the pressure and got new spectacles. As I left Vogue Optical with my two new pair of glasses, I decided to extend my lunch hour break by going to Harvey's. When I saw the hamburgers with my glasses on, they seemed so small. I took them off and the burgers were back to normal size. Glasses on, small burgers. My God! If the glasses had this effect on hamburgers, what about... no no, that was a thought too frightening (and emasculating) to consider. Grabbing my take-out order, I rushed to catch a bus back to work. O dear, I felt like I was 3 feet tall. The ground seemed so much closer to my eye level. Stumbling off of curbs I must have seemed like a noon day drunk. Thankfully, with much effort, I made my way back to work. Since then, I've been trying to wear my glasses as much as possible in order to get used to them. I still forget to sport them quite often but hopefully soon I'll become accustomed to being a four-eyed dork.

5 Comments:

  • you are endlessly entertaining!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sun Nov 06, 01:59:00 AM  

  • Wow - I was just looking for a french-kissing site too! It's never too late to start brushing up on your skills (girls only date guys with great skills as we all know).

    By Blogger Glen, at Mon Nov 07, 01:27:00 PM  

  • how come i never get any ads on my blog...?


    yep i remember when the same tragic even happened to me about 15 years ago, new glasses and all drunk walking.

    glasses make your eye lazy. stupid glasses

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Mon Nov 07, 01:30:00 PM  

  • Welcome to the club, brother! now you are one of us!

    By Blogger Budman, at Sun Nov 13, 11:14:00 PM  

  • Hey Glen!

    Nice glasses, you look super cute! Don't worry, I know lots of people who are into the cute boys with glasses, it makes you look smart and cuddly ;)

    Patricia

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 16, 12:22:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home