It's OK, I'm a Chemist

Friday, September 23, 2005

So I was walking home from downtown earlier this week and the smell of bread wafted into my nostrils. Dreams of home-baked rolls pranced through my head (note to my readership: do NOT google search "big buns" to get a picture of larger than normal bread). I contemplated baking my own bread for a while but then I thought who was I kidding. Despite buying a large bag of flour when I first moved here, I hadn't baked anything. Like the smell of fish oil, the idea of baking my own bread followed me during the week. As fate would have it, the food science lab had prepared extra bread dough and knowing my infatuation with all things bread I was offered some. As excited as a kid running through a field of dandelions I accepted the gift and put it in my backpack. My intention was to bake the bread after coming back from my ultimate frisbee game that night. Of course, I had forgotten that it was the night that Kayhan was to have his going-away dinner. We all went to My Other Brother Darrel's for some peanut butter hamburgers and milkshakes. With my belly full and my body tired, I returned to my apartment and immediately fell asleep. Well I opened my backpack yesterday to wash my ultimate clothes to find the bread dough fermented and all over the inside of the backpack. The moral of the story is, as my father used to say, he who hesitates is lost. I'm sure he meant it in a more meaningful context, but as I cleaned away the alcoholic bread dough nothing seemed truer.

Addendum: I succesfully made a delicious fettucine carbonara last night and am planning a vegetarian chili next.

7 Comments:

  • Is that last picture a pic of Bacchus the greek god of wine? If not... I don't get it. And where's the Scarlett pic?

    By Blogger Masta, at Sun Sep 25, 09:47:00 PM  

  • You know your greek Gods well, csg. It is indeed Bacchus, or as I like to call him Dionysus. The Scarlett pic is there, linked to the word with which I would most likely associate her.

    By Blogger Glen, at Mon Sep 26, 09:22:00 AM  

  • I'm clicking "excited" and not getting any scarlett pic. Something's wrong.

    By Blogger Masta, at Mon Sep 26, 11:10:00 PM  

  • I just checked it and the site hosting the picture must have exceeded their bandwith. Corrections will be made so that we may bask in Scarlett's beauty.

    By Blogger Glen, at Tue Sep 27, 01:11:00 AM  

  • Excitement... achieved.

    By Blogger Masta, at Wed Sep 28, 03:50:00 AM  

  • nice post,

    never let dough sit around cuz it will get spread thin all over the place and it will be wasted... same goes for money, which is also called dough

    im really sick

    are you a vegetarian now?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Sep 28, 01:44:00 PM  

  • Nah.. The recipe I had was for a veggie chili. I most definitely meatified it by substituting the bran flakes for some ground beef.

    By Blogger Glen, at Wed Sep 28, 01:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home